Min
How can use this sentence structure properly? Here is the sentence: "This industry is the world's leading industrial contributor, producing over 6 per cent of the world's gross national product." I want to ask under what situation can I use this model of "a complete sentence, + doing"? Like the word "producing" in this example. Thank you.
2016년 10월 3일 오전 2:43
7
0
This kind of clause is called a "participle clause" (specifically, a "present participle clause"). They're not easy to learn, because they express a wide variety of meanings. On the other hand, they're very nice because you can convery a lot of meaning very succinctly and cohesively. Note that they're a feature of written English and seldom come up in spoken English. Here's a nice short article on the subject. You might want to look up 分词从句 on Baidu for more: http://www.grammaring.com/participle-clauses In the example you gave, the participial clause expresses REASON. Without with participle clause, the sentence looks like this: "This industry is the world's leading industrial contributor, because it produces over 6 per cent of the world's gross national product." If you want some practice, do some much research on the subject and try rewriting the following using present participle clauses. 1. I really wanted to go to Beijing, because I am from there 2. I couldn't afford the train ticket to Beijing, because I had no money 3. I found myself in Tianjin instead of Beijing, because I had fallen asleep on the train 4. I was fined 10,000 yuan, because the train official (had) found out I didn't have a ticket
2016년 10월 3일
This type of sentence can be used when the second phrase ('producing over 6 percent of the world's gross national product') supports what is said in the first clause. Think of it as giving a statement and then backing up that statement with evidence. These 2 parts could be split up into 2 independent clauses with the addition of a period and a subject with the verb conjugated correctly. Ex: This industry is the world's leading industrial contributor. They produce over 6 percent of the world's gross national product. While the two parts make perfect sense split up, this method lacks fluidity, and it just sounds better when put together like in the original sentence. Thus you can see that it adds appeal when the sentences are connected because it appears to be one thought made up of a statement and support for that thought. Hope this helps!
2016년 10월 3일
Min
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English