saher
can a person learn two language at the same time?
9
0
Yes, but focus is really important
Sure, it is perfectly possible. But bear in mind that to make things easier and more effective, you should choose two languages that are completely different from one another, for example a Germanic language and a Romance language. If you learn two Romance languages at once, you might end up mixing them at some point, because they share way too many similarities. So only after you have acquired a solid knowledge in a certain language you should start learning a second one of the same family, whereas, for example, learning Spanish and German from scratch at once should be fine. It does take a lot of motivation and discipline to get past the waystage and become an independent user though. But it is indeed possible and a lot of people have done it. Best of luck with your studies!
I agree with Steve. Obviously, it does also depend a lot on the individual student's ability, but to place it in perspective, here in South Africa for example it is not uncommon for our children to be learning three languages at once whilst still in school (i.e. English, Afrikaans, French and one of the native South African languages e.g. Zulu, Xhosa, Sotho, etc.)
I actually studied more than one language at one time. It takes more study time, obviously. I don't think it was any slower to learn either language though. So yes, it can be done.
Yep. I don't know what the limits might be, if any, but I have learned two at once - excluding my mother tongue. Many kids are routinely bilingual (or greater), right? If the languages are similar, then I don't know if learning may interfere or augment, though. Mine weren't similar.
saher
Arabic, English