Sasha
Could you explain the "blended-down uranium bomb cores" in the sentence below? "A 1993 agreement allowed Russia to sell blended-down uranium bomb cores to American utilities for use as fuel rods in civilian power plants, in a swords-to-plowshares program called Megatons to Megawatts. This program generated about 10 percent of all electricity in the United States for 20 years, until 2013. The plutonium program, while smaller, held the potential to also yield energy for civilian electrical networks." I read a lot of things about "program called Megatons to Megawatts" and "blended-down uranium" I saw at first from what I've read I can say that it looks like to be a synonym of "Depleted uranium (DU)" am I right? What does downblen stand for? A state of national emergency was declared by the USA in 2000 to help to ensure that payments to Russia under the 1993 agreement to !!!downblend!!! surplus military high-enriched uranium could not be derailed by unrelated legal actions.
1
0
I'm not an expert, but 'blended-down' Uranium does sound like 'depleted Uranium' in this context, IMHO.
Sasha
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian