Takeshi
What do Americans think when you see a pink shirt or a pink dress shirt? Hello. I have really a question about American culture. I've heard that American people think person who wears a pink shirt or a pink dress shirt is a gay. I have some pink shirts, and I want to wear them in the US. Is that right or wrong? I am not a gay, and I do not mean if a gay is OK or not. But, I think I should know whether people think I am a gay or not when I wear a pink shirt. I hope you tell me what you think about it! Thanks! :)
2016年10月5日 23:47
10
0
Pink dress shirts for men have been ok in the US for everyone for about 12 years. If you wear a pink dress shirt, the stares and comments you get will probably be all positive. That being said, it is true that in many parts of this very large country, wearing other bright colors or patterns might bring comments or questionable looks. This is unfortunate. We need more trendsetters to change this - so please wear anything you like. If you look good in it, and you feel comfortable in it, others will be ok with it too (and may wind up wearing something similar themselves in the future!)
2016年10月6日
I find it very interesting that so far three women have hypothesized about men's clothing choices. You're free to offer your opinion, of course. But I can't imagine doing the same if the question was directed to women. I would have no clue what to say. I offer a different perspective. The fact is that clothing choice is usually a function of age. I'm into my fifties and there is no way that I would wear a pink shirt at this age. Our tastes change over time. And what looks good on us changes as well with age. Think about it, did middle-aged men wear parachute pants in the 1980s?
2016年10月6日
I would not presume that somebody is gay based on the color of his shirt especially during this month of October which happens to be Breast Cancer Awareness Month during which a lot of people wear pink to show their support for this cause.
2016年10月6日
Hello, my name is Mari and I live in the US. I see many men wearing colors that are usually associated with feminism that is completely normal here. Granted, anywhere you go you might get a "stereotypical" reaction to what you wear. However, as long as you are happy with your clothing choices and are confident people really won't notice your clothing but rather the person wearing them. Good luck and I hope you have fun and safe travels!
2016年10月5日
Hello, Takeshi! Please feel free to wear any color shirt you like when in the US. It is true that some people think that pink is a feminine color, and it's true that some men are not confident enough to wear that color. But it is not true that wearing a pink shirt (or any other item of clothing in that color) is a sign that a man is a homosexual. The only people who would say such a thing are bullies who like to make fun of other people to hide their own insecurities. I personally like to see men wearing pink. It is very often a flattering color on them!
2016年10月5日
Takeshi
English, French, German, Japanese
English, German