Tang Hsi
I have a question. Please do me a favor. Virtual volunteering, as this emerging practice is commonly known,provides an opportunity for people . Can I leave out"is"? Thank you for helping me.
12
0
No. You need a verb in that clause. You could rewrite the sentence to read "The emerging practice commonly known as virtual volunteering provides an opportunity for people" to eliminate "is" but your sentence is just fine the way it is.
Hello Tang Hsi, Because we don't know who commonly knows this fact or it is people in general we use the passive form. The passive form is made from the correct form (time and person) of the verb 'be' and the past participle of the main verb. If you were to write the sentence in an active form it would read 'Many people know this practice as virtual volunteering.' Best wishes Bob
IMHO, no. 'known' needs 'is' (or the verb to be in another form, e.g. has been, will be). I hope it helps
I would add "as" (as this emerging practice is commonly known as)
The man known for his incredible cooking... The man is known for his incredible cooking. It depends on the sentence. But because of the way your sentence is worded, you need "is" (practice is known)
Tang Hsi