Alan
Does "free-er" sound weird to you? I know it's weird for a native English speaker to ask a question in the English forum, but I caught myself saying this sentence in a conversation. I was talking to a friend who was busy at work and I said: "We'll talk more when you're free-er" Of course, I'm aware this isn't standard English, yet it came out of my mouth. I'm curious, if someone said this to you how distracting would it sound, compared to a typical learner mistake like "He like the football"?
11
1
Not weird at all. I've asked all sorts of English language questions here. 'Free-er' sounds OK to me. Knowing how to write it might be a challenge, but it sounds fine.
free-er just sounds a bit wrong to me. I would be inclined to just "we'll talk about it when you're free"
I think "free-er" sounds fine -- I suspect I may even have used it before. However, as far as I know it's written "freer", the spelling with the hyphen looks a bit dodgy. Another monosyllabic adjective ending in /i/ is "wee"; I've heard "weer" before, but I don't think it's very common (and of course "wee" itself is only common in certain regions of the English-speaking world).
Alan
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Persian (Farsi)
Chinese (Mandarin), Persian (Farsi)