Smoke
He doubted their motives. I don't know what the sentence below means: He doubted their motives. it is suggested that it means: He suspects their motives are not true. Then I don't understand what "true" means. 1. He suspects their motives are not consistent with fact or reality. 2. He suspects their motives are not fake. 3. He suspects their motives are not reliable or accurate. 4. He suspects their motives are not legitimate. 5. He suspects their motives are not exactly conforming to a rule. Which one is close? "They began to doubt some accepted doctrines." means: 1. They began to suspect some accepted doctrines are not consistent with fact or reality. 2. They began to suspect some accepted doctrines are fake. 3. ... some accepted doctrines are not reliable or accurate. 4. ... some accepted doctrines are not legitimate. 5. ... some accepted doctrines are not exactly conforming to a rule. again, which one
5
0
"He doubted their motives" means "He thinks they are lying about their motives. They say that their motives are A, when their motives are really B." For example, a farmer says to a sheep "I am fattening you up because I love you," and the sheep says "I doubt your motives, I think you are fattening me up to be slaughtered for meat." In your second example, I'm not sure I understand the the differences between 1, 3, and 4, but 1 is definitely correct. It means they do not believe the accepted doctrines are true. For example, it was accepted doctrine that the earth was the center of the universe and the sun, stars, and planets revolve around it. Copernicus doubted that accepted doctrine.
You have subtle differences here and a lot would depend on the context. In 1 - IMHO #1 in 2 - #1 or #2 or #3
Smoke