Mustafa
When to use “use” and when to use “utilize” in a sentence? Sometimes I go through articles and find the expression utilize, I've always been wondering if there are special cases in which it should be used instead of used.
7 окт. 2016 г., 6:11
3
0
"Use" means to take, hold or deploy (something) as a means of accomplishing or achieving something; while "utilize" means to make practical and effective use of something. I suggest that utilize is best used when the activity is unusual. for example: I will use a chair to sit and I will utilize a chair to stand on to change a light bulb.
7 октября 2016 г.
Utilize is more like "take advantage of". I utilized the calculator to find the discount on the shoes after it was marked 70% off. Use is general, I used a hose to water the plants. TLDR; It's a stylistic choice. Utilize when there is a tool or something is avaliable to benefit you. Use for general.
7 октября 2016 г.
Both of the above answers are correct, but it's worth noting that utilize is also more formal. So you wouldn't really say "I utilize a chair to stand on to change a lightbulb", because that's an informal situation. You would probably still use "use". You would use "utilize" for more formal or business situations, for example, "We feel the company is not utilizing its resources effectively" or "The library is frequently utilized by the community, and should receive more funding."
7 октября 2016 г.
Mustafa
Arabic (Gulf), English