Olesya Tilayte
hey! I need some help with some simple norwegian words, would be happy if ull help me:) So,1) is it always supposed to be : Hver morgen or it possible to say hver morgenen or it will be incorrect? 2)Same with : med buss /med bussen which one is correct? 3)i sommer means this summer, but om sommeren means in summer? Is it incorrect to say i sommeren??? 4)Aaand Can I say Kommer barna deres sammen med deg? or only Kommer deres barn sammen med deg? 5)And why will it be Hører du meg ikke? Why cant I say : Hører du ikke meg? 6) so i know kveld is evening, so in the evening is om kvelden , but in the dictionary i saw om aftenen , even though i never heard it that way.
7
0
1. Hver morgen = every morning. It is never correct to say *hver morgenen*. 2. Both options are correct, but convey different meanings. When referring to bus as means of transportation in general, use «buss». When it is implied through the context that you are referring to one particular bus (such as the school bus) or one particular bus route (such as route number 37), use «bussen». Examples: - Hvordan kommer du deg til og fra jobb? - Som regel med buss, men akkurat i dag tok jeg drosje. - Vi mangler Even, er det noen som har hørt noe fra ham? - Ja, han kommer med bussen, så han bør være her om ca. fem minutter. (Here, it is implied that everyone involved knows where Even lives, and which specific bus he would be on.) 3. I sommer = this (current or coming) summer. Om sommeren = in the summer / during summer / in the summertime. When talking about the future in connection with seasons, you can also use «til»: Til sommeren = this (coming) summer. It is never correct to say *i sommeren*. 4. Both can be correct; which one to use depends on what part of the sentence you want to emphasize. Some examples: - Jeg forstår det som at mannen din kommer direkte fra jobb på fredag, mens du ikke kommer før på lørdag. Kommer barna deres sammen med deg? (Here, the sentence stress should be on «deg».) - Anne nevnte at hun og Frank kommer alene med bil på fredag. Kommer deres barn sammen med deg? (Here, «deres barn» refers to Anne and Frank’s children, not yours. The sentence stress should be on «deres» + «deg».) 5. Both can be correct; which one to use depends on what part of the sentence you want to emphasize: - Hører du meg ikke? = Are you not able to HEAR me? - Hører du ikke meg? = Are you not able to hear ME? 6. You can use both «om kvelden» og «om aftenen». However, the latter is less frequently used (although this varies among dialects), and would also by many be considered quite formal. I would stick to «om kvelden», as this option fits in any context.
PS: Regarding number 4, if you simply want to say "Are your children coming with you?" as in "Are you bringing your children?", a natural way to express this in Norwegian would be something along the lines of "Skal du ha med deg barna (dine)?" or "Blir barna (dine) med deg?" (you don't have to include "dine"). When instead using "kommer" in this context, like you've done in your examples, the emphasis is actually put on the "arrival" - not on the "bringing" or "coming along with" - and thus making this a question more specifically about whether or not the children will be arriving together with you/at the same time as you.
Olesya Tilayte
English, Norwegian, Russian
Norwegian