Marllon Borges Singh
What is the difference between I had been and I have been?! I know I use had end have for past, but I'm always confused about when I should use one or another.
3
0
Have been can be used to refer to things that are still ongoing. "Recently, I have been eating more healthily" Had been is usually used to refer to things that are already over, or to reflect that a situation has changed. "I had been eating healthily, but then I had a big pizza". I would say that 'have been' is far more common in day-to-day usage.
My first piece of advice is that there is very little difference so don't worry much about this until you are an advanced speaker. It is enough to be able to recognize that both are past tense. Was/were, has/have been, and had been mean almost the same thing. Now, to answer your question, I'll offer a couple of examples. I have been to that bar many times. (you went there before and you could go again now or in the future) I had been to that bar many times before it closed. (you went there before but not anymore) A real English teacher can explain this better than I can but I think that it's not really important. I have trouble deciding which form of the verb to use sometimes.
I have been done: means the thing has finished by me just now, it's a present perfect passive tence. eg. I have turned off the lights. light was turned off by me, now the light is off. I had been done: means the thing had finished by me before, it's a past perfect passive tense. eg. I had turned off the lights before I left the office. I had turned off the lights(past&past )'before' (, then) I left the office(past).
Marllon Borges Singh
English, French, Italian, Portuguese