Mark
Draw comparison with (without the article "A") Dear teachers I see native speakers omit the article "a" from "draw a comparison with"...Is it fine without the article? Like for example in the para below. Could you please review this para: My point was that when you see someone get beaten up like that.....then if your first reaction is to talk about ISIS and is to draw comparison with the ISIS. And in the process not even think about the human sufferings..... then you obviously have no sympathy for the guy getting beaten up whatsoever.
5
0
'about ISIS and is to draw comparison with the ISIS' I can't agree that this is correct without the article. Nor would I call it an idiom. Your passage sounds like a transcription of a person discussing this on TV. Or maybe a non-native speaker wrote it. It's a little hard for me to tell Also, in American English, we don't write 'the ISIS.' It's ISIS.
It's an idiom which can have the "a", no article, or plural (comparisons). They are just variants but the meaning is the same.
I wrote it myslef as a comment response to someone else's comment. This is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqa9zYctgnM Here is the discussion John brown:Who gives a FUCK This is "child's play" compared to what those assholes do to Christians !! Me: You must be really insensitive to say something like that! This guy was a human being too. John: Yes TELL THAT TO ISIS Me:This video is not about ISIS. You bringing up the ISIS shows that you don't give a shit about this guy. Beerpong9000: Even chimps display empathy. John Brown's intellectual and emotional capacity as a human being is certainly questionable. KKKn50KAL: +beerpong9000 They are interrogating a terrorist that was captured. So who cares what they do. The point that John Brown was trying to make is; ISIS does this much and worse. I guess that went over your heads. Me: +KKKn50cal You said, "they are interrogating terrorist that was captured"; Source please. My point was that when you see someone get beaten up like that.....then if your first reaction is to talk about ISIS and is to draw comparison with the ISIS. And in the process not even think about the human sufferings..... then you obviously have no sympathy for the guy getting beaten up whatsoever. KKKn50cal: +Anonymous(me) My ass is your source, idiot. Where do you think they got him, at the supermarket? You are right. I have ZERO sympathy for terrorists. NONE at all. I wouldn't mind killing some Muslim terrorists myself. Me: +KKKn50cal Well, you dumb! You don't even know the guy getting beaten up yet you are pretending as if you saw him carry out a terrorist activity. I don't think I would be able to reason with someone with this low IQ. So peace, son! KKKn50cal: +Anonymous That is why he is getting his ass kicked. Someone caught him in a terrorist act. I'm sure he wasn't on his way home from grocery shopping.
Where did you get this paragraph from?
Mark
English, Urdu