Victoria Tran
How do you pronounce the letter H??? ' Some people may find my question rather ridiculous! H should be pronounce as /eɪtʃ/. But I had a lesson with my English teacher today, and she pronounced the letter as /heɪtʃ/. How astonished I was! Does any of you pronounce like her?
9 окт. 2016 г., 12:54
32
1
I'm a U.S. native speaker. (And, forgive me, I don't know the IPA). I pronounce the name of the letter "H" as "aitch," with no actual initial "h" sound. Until I read Peachey's post, I was completely unaware that anyone pronounces it "haitch." The American Heritage Dictionary lists only the single pronunciation "āch." So there must be differences in international customs. It's not the only one. To U.S. speakers the name of the letter "Z" is "zee;" to Canadians and British speakers it's "zed." I have to wonder if the "haitch" pronunciation is a back-formation, in which people assumed that "aitch" must be an ignorant mispronunciation with a dropped initial "h" and added an "h" that hadn't originally been there.
9 октября 2016 г.
'Aitch' is the correct pronunciation of H in England. 'Haitch' sounds a bit like something you might hear from a kid, and is a pet peeve of many English speakers! You do hear it, but it isn't correct.
9 октября 2016 г.
Yes, some of us put a "h" sound when we say the letter H! :) I don't see anything wrong with that. That's the sound of the letter, isn't it? The /eɪtʃ/ pronunciation derives from French, where this is a silent letter.
9 октября 2016 г.
I checked Collins, Oxford, and Merriam Webster and none of them have an entry for "haitch". All of them have entries for "aitch". That being said, I hear "haitch" regularly in the UK (though I say "aitch").
9 октября 2016 г.
Until today, I never heard 'haitch' I think I'm safe saying that you won't ever hear that in the USA.
9 октября 2016 г.
Victoria Tran
English, Vietnamese