Lolita
About writing ! How can I improve my writing . I can not write well , my sentences are very simple , Is there any book to help me? or any other thing ?
8
0
TOEFL iBT is a good source. Also , Essay and letter writing by L.G.Alexander .
To write well, you must read a lot and practice a lot. Obviously you can't write well if you don't read, since no one can develop the vocab in his or her own head. And it's even more obvious that one can't write well without lots of practicing, just like anything in life. To read effectively, you should develop a passion to read, by finding a range of subjects that interest you. It's also important to have a good setup for reading. I suggest a well configured online reading environment. Configure your browser with a pop-up dictionary that lets you look up new phrases without leaving the page. Also, do comparative reading, meaning you read both the English text and your native text side by side. With such a setup, you can read with minimal disruption and frustration even if the text is a bit too tough for you. I believe reading good texts broadly in this way is the best way to expand your vocab and hone your writing skills. Remember that high end vocab hardly ever appears anywhere except in good books and articles - reading is the key. With this setup, you can also practice writing. Since you're doing comparative reading between English and your native, you can easily practice translation too. Gradually, try translating what you have in your native text to English, and compare it with what's in the English text. You have at your fingertip the whole book to practice with, as well as top quality answers to check your work against. And you don't have to rack your brain to figure out what to write about. It beats the Italki Notebook in my opinion.
I would recommend trying to read some poetry that is written in plain English- the sentences and pieces will be shorter, but still full of description and images. Someone like Raymond Carver might be a good start.
My best advise would be to read more in English, and eventually you will find yourself subconsciously copying the structures you have seen somewhere. Studying a language is not always hard work - it can be entertainment. Is there a literary genre you particularly like, like fantasy or horror? Read such books in English then, the community here on italki will gladly give you advise on both easier and more difficult reading. Or do you have a favourite band, actor or a football team? Subscribe to their facebook page and read whatever people write about them online. Some of the English you will be reading won't be too complicated, like Facebook comments, but there will also be articles and reviews. You could also take lessons focused on writing skills at some point - in your case, I would recommend an Armenian-speaking English teacher who could explain you how exactly certain grammatical structures work. However, without the actual use of English in everyday life this won't be as efficient as it could be. Hope this helps!
Lolita
Armenian, English, Italian