박희섭(Heesob Park)
Subject-Verb Agreement I saw the following sentence in a textbook. A bátyám és az egyik húgom Budapesten lakik, a másik húgom pedig Bécsben él. Why "lakik" is used instead of "laknak"?
10 окт. 2016 г., 5:32
4
0
A bátyám és az egyik húgom Budapesten lakik. My brother and one of my sister is living in Budapest (now). (Usually they live in Bécs, at the moment they is living in Budapest because of their work.) A bátyám és az egyik húgom Budapesten laknak. My brother and one of my sister live in Budapest. (Usually they live in Budapest. Their home is there.)
10 октября 2016 г.
I try to help you. I'm not a linguist. Sorry.
10 октября 2016 г.
There are two ways in which the subject–verb number agreement cue in Hungarian differs from subject–verb number agreement cues in languages like English, German or Spanish. One difference involves the way in which agreement interacts with quantiers. In Hungarian, one says öt férfí (“five man”) instead of öt férfiak(“five men”). The singular noun is also used with other quantiers such as “many”, “some” and “all”. Whenever the quantier expresses inherent plurality, the marking of plurality on the noun is considered redundant and is suppressed. Furthermore, for the purposes of agreement with the verb, a quantied subject noun phrase is treated as singular, even when the noun is conceptually plural (Pollard & Sag, 1988). Second, this treatment of a plural subject as singular can also arise with coordinated subjects. For example, Hungarians can say either Mari és Feri jön(“Mari and Feri comes”) or Mari és Feri jönnek(“Mari and Feri come”). When the coordinated subject is treated as singular, one gets the sense of the two people coming as a unit. When the verb is plural, one gets the sense that two different people are coming perhaps from different places at slightly different times. If processing of the agreement cue relies heavily on conceptual form, these two mismatches in Hungarian between conceptual number and grammatical number could serve to weaken the uniform application of the subject–verb agreement cue.
10 октября 2016 г.
박희섭(Heesob Park)
English, Finnish, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Swedish, Vietnamese
Norwegian