Nadiia
What is the difference between those three sentences 농구에 빠집니다. 농구에 빠졌습니다. 농구에 빠지고 있습니다. Are all of them gramatically correct?
5
0
농구에 빠지고 있습니다. is an awkward sentence. Here, 빠지다 means 무엇에 정신이 아주 쏠리어 헤어나지 못하다. It is a verb similar to the verbs 앉다(to sit), 서다(to stand), 깨지다(to break) that the action can be completed in a short time and they are not commonly used with ‘-고 있다’ 농구에 빠져 있습니다(status) You can use "빠져들다" with ‘-고 있다’ 농구에 빠져들고 있습니다(progressive) On the contrary, verbs like 자다(to sleep), 공부하다(to study), 먹다(to eat) are commonly used with ‘-고 있다’ In such verbs, the action cannot be completed in a short time. 아침에는 사과를 먹습니다.(I eat an apple at morning) 어제 사과를 먹었습니다. ( I ate an apple yesterday) 지금 사과를 먹고 있습니다.(I'm eating an apple now)
농구에 빠집니다: It's the simple present. If you talk about what usually happens, you speak in this tense. Or if you are talking about the past, describing every detail so that the listeners shall be able to imagine the scene, this one is the right choice. You would say everything in this tense if you are trying to hypnotize someone. ex) 당신은 13세의 어린 시절로 돌아갑니다. 어머니께서는 아직 살아계십니다. 첫사랑과 헤어지고 당신은 농구에 빠집니다. 학교를 졸업하고 농구선수의 길을 걷기로 결심합니다. 농구에 빠졌습니다: The simple past, the most often seen tense. It tells that you fell in love with basketball = You CURRENTLY love it. 농구에 빠지고 있습니다: Comparable to gerund in English. However it's less useful than the English one. It may sound very unnatural when not used properly. It's only natural if you are in the middle of doing something short term RIGHT NOW. ex) 숙제하고 있습니다: I'm doing my homework right now. With that being said, the "농구에 빠지고 있습니다" phrase is very restricted in use. You probably shouldn't use this tense for a single person. But it would be perfectly viable for describing a social symptom. ex) NBA의 영향으로 많은 청소년들이 농구에 빠지고 있습니다. (in a news/report)
I would say all of them are grammartically correct, but only second one sounds natural to me.
Nadiia
English, Korean, Russian, Ukrainian