Community Web Version Now Available
Which one is more proper: 1)Bachelor of Applied mathematics 2)Bachelor in Applied mathematics
Oct 10, 2016 6:38 PM
Answers · 5
Dr. Wit I'm not sure that it matters too much. I would say, "I (he, she, they) have(has) a Bachelors in Applied Mathematics". Additionally I might say, "The school offers a Bachelors of Applied Mathematics." But I think it's really up to you. I also found this answer that was quite useful, but as I said I do not think there is a rule that determines which to use. [degree level] of [broad category] in [specialty] [degree level] is Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctor. That list is in increasing order of how many years of schooling each involves. [broad category] is Arts, Science, Law, Business Administration, and occasionally Divinity. A Law degree is, well, about law. Business Administration is related to running a business. Science is a degree involving a physical science, like chemistry or physics. Divinity is a degree in theology or otherwise related to a profession like being a minister or a missionary, though many schools of theology today call their degrees Arts instead of Divinity. Art is pretty much anything else, like history, literature, philosophy, etc. Sometimes you see a degree in Fine Arts meaning music, theater, painting, or the like, to distinguish it from "ordinary" Arts. (Business Administration is mostly used in "Master of Business Administration": I don't recall ever hearing someone say they have an Associates in Business Administration, etc, though there may be colleges out there that give such degrees.) [specialty] could be almost anything, whatever the college teaches. So you could have degrees like, "Associate of Arts in Literature", "Master of Science in Physics", "Doctor of Fine Arts in Icelandic Poetry", etc. My degree is "Bachelor of Science in Business Computer Science". My ex-wife has "Master of Arts in History and Museum Management". And so on.
October 10, 2016
In the United States, there's no total uniformity. However, the norm for a four-year undergraduate degree is either a "Bachelor of Arts in X" or a "Bachelor of Sciences in X." A person with such a degree might describe themselves as "an X major." For example, I was a math major, and my diploma reads "Bachelor of Science in Mathematics."
October 10, 2016
Your question needs to read "Which one is more correct?" In the UK we usually say something like "Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics" or "Bachelor of Arts in Ceramics". These are often shortened to "BSc (in) Applied Mathematics" or "BA (in) Ceramics", for example. The words in brackets are often omitted.
October 10, 2016
Hi Dr. WiT, The proper way to say this is "Bachelor's of (Arts, Sciences) in Applied Mathematics." You would need to know if you have a Bachelor's of Arts degree (B.A.) or a Bachelor's of Sciences degree (B.S.). Hope that helps! Brittany
October 10, 2016
Language Skills
English, Ukrainian
Learning Language