brendoncintas
Is あなた okay? こんにちは皆さん! In my Japanese class today, I learned that using あなた to address someone, whether or not you know their name, is considered incredibly rude. However, I've been using this for a while and nobody has told me otherwise. Could someone clarify? どうもありがとうございます!
7
0
It's not rude. But if you know their names, it would be better to address someone with their family name with さん.
It might not be rude but is not polite neither. If you know the surname of the person, I would reccomend you to use the surname + さん。Sometimes you don't know the name but depending on who that person is you might be able to use substitute words, like 先生、お客様、奥様etc. Most people avoid using あなた。Definitely you can NOT use the same way you use "you" in English.
I am confused too. I was told to only use "あなた" to indicate boyfriend or brother.
brendoncintas
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
French, German, Japanese, Korean