Anna
Indirect answers Hello! Could you explain the difference between direct and indirect answers? Is this both proposals are right? Do they have a difference? Maybe the question is worthless but could you say something about it, please? 1. I don't know where the law school is. 2. I don't know where is the law school.
3
0
1. I don't know where the law school is. RIGHT 2. I don't know where is the law school. WRONG I hope that answers your question!
You are asked a question. And They expect your answer. They may ask you , do you know where the law school is? You may just reply: No, I don't.
There is a slight difference in meaning, however, '2)' is not the way a native speaker would write out that statement, but '1)' is correct. I don't know where the law school is (located). An adverb clause of place. Now the second example is structured in a way that is akin to making a statement and asking a question. For example, Q: Do you know where the law school is? A. Sorry, I don't know. Q: Where is the law school? A. Sorry, I don't know (where the law school is).
Anna
English, German, Russian
English, German