Bill
My teacher tells me that this is correct Quanto tempo sei in Italia? "da circa un mese e rimango a Bologna ancora per alcuni giorni" so both "da" and "per" mean "for", one concerns the past that is continious with the present and one the future which is continious with the present. aaargh, any help about this?
6
0
Ciao Bill, the correct question is "DA quanto tempo sei in Italia?", it's like "since when". So, in the answer "da circa un mese e rimango a Bologna ancora per alcuni giorni", DA circa un mese means that you arrived in Italy a month ago and since then you're still in Italy. PER alcuni giorni means the duration, how long you're staying in Bologna. Did I get your question? Sorry for my English :D
I could be wrong about this...but my understanding is that 'da' has more of a meaning of 'since'. But while the English word 'since' is followed only by a point in time ( e.g. since mid-September), the Italian equivalent can be used to refer to both a point AND a period of time. This, of course, explains a very common mistake among Italian students learning English - as in 'I stay in London since three weeks'. Would it help to think of 'da' in the sense of 'from a point around a month ago until now', and 'per' in the more conventional sense of 'for' for a duration?
thanks, any ideas about the answer?
Da quanto tempo sei in Italia?
Bill
English, French, Italian
French, Italian