Trinh Nguyen
Apart from / Aside from / Except / Except for What are the differences among apart from/aside from/except for/except? Is after each of them a phrase or a clause? Eg: "I have to go to school every day except Sunday" or I have to go to school every day except for Sunday" - Which is correct? Please give me more examples to understand clearly. Thank you.
2
0
Hi To be honest there are no real differences between any of these expressions. You have used 'except,' and 'except for,' in your example above, both of which are correct. Had you used 'apart from,' or 'aside from,' those, too, would have been correct. I think that the expression 'aside from,' is possibly more common in American English. In general 'except,' is probably used most often. For example you will see 'except,' used on road signs, such as: 'No stopping, except for deliveries,' which means that drivers cannot stop in a particular road unless they are delivering supplies to a local business.
Trinh Nguyen
English, Vietnamese