Saka
Hi, I was looking at a science video, can't understand the following sentence and it's about biology Only the largest animals actually dive for their algae. What does it mean when it says ‘the largest animals'? Why other animals (small??) can not dive for the algae?
4
0
Do you have a link to the video? I'm wondering if you have caught the pattern of emphasis correctly. I'm wondering if the context could have been something like this: "These tiny copepods live by eating the algae they swim among. So do some of the largest animals. Only, the largest animals _dive_ for _their_ algae." In other words, "only" is a linking word meaning "the same in one way, but different in another way," rather than meaning "this is something that is only possible for the largest animals."
I don't think this is a language question, but a biology one. Clearly you understand that large animals dive and small animals don't, but the why can only be answered in context of the video, which is not a linguistic issue.
Saka
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese
English, French, Japanese