Lotus
What does this sentence mean? The sentence: “You can’t keep an old dog down” Context: “On the way to the massage we stopped off at a little café. It was a bit rank, but there was nothing else around and we were hungry, as we’d been up since 4 a.m. Loads of plates were brought to the table. I tucked in. Then Emma the translator walked in and told me I’d been eating dog. If the camera had been rolling I’d have thought I had been set up, but it wasn’t, and everyone else looked at their plate to see if they had eaten it too. They hadn’t. Just me. Just my luck. It didn’t taste that good. I just thought it was cheap beef. Even food that I have at home tastes different here, so I didn’t really question what it was. Oh, well. Isn’t there a saying that goes ‘You can’t keep an old dog down’? Guess I’ll find out in the next few hours. ” From: Karl Pilkington. “An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington” Thanks a lot:)
9
0
This is a popular adage. It means that the person will keep going, fighting, or trying to succeed.
As with many questions on this site, I can't answer without context: is the writer being funny; ironic..? Of course, you can keep an old dog down, or any other dog for that matter. The writer may be referring to an old (and incorrect) adage that: 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks,' but without context I couldn't say.
Thanks Angela:) It helps me get the jokes and laugh hard.
It's a joke. A play on words about "keeping _______ down." Meaning 1 is what Mikkel said - an allusion to the idiom "you can't keep a good man down." Mikkel is right about that meaning. Meaning 2 - if you "can't keep _____ down" and that blank is food, it means you're going to vomit that food. So, he's saying that in a few hours, he'll find out whether or not he's going to be ill.
You're welcome :-)
Lotus
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Spanish
English, Japanese, Spanish