EnterSandman
Finnish stresses: How and where are they heard in a sentence? Always put on the first syllable? First of all, sorry for the not-so-grammatically correct English of the sentence. Max length limit didn't allow me to draw out a more accurate question, even though the current question expresses my main doubt pretty well. As I have told, this concerns the stresses matter. I keep finding out everywhere that stresses are always put on the first syllable of a word in Finnish. Yet, while listening to actual spoken Finnish (Even selkosuomi or kirjakieli), I found out it often doesn't seem so. For instance, in the word "Opettaja" the stress is on the second syllable, "pet" - Correct me if I'm wrong - not on the first, in which case, the word "Opettaja" would sound like "ò-pet-tà-ja", more and less. Yet, it is spelled "O-pèt-ta-ja", with a soft stress on the last syllable. Same for "Ra-kàs-tan" (Here, I might be mistaken about the scansion of the syllables, feel free to correct). So, what is the general rule? Stress on the first syllable, unless the first is open? Kiitos ennakkoon! :-)
1
0
It's often seemed to me, too, that the stress is somewhere else - but it actually isn't. It just sounds this way sometimes. The main stress is always on the first syllable. There can also be secondary stress, though - if it is a compound word (the first syllable of every component), or a long one (3rd or 4th syllable, but never the last one).
EnterSandman
English, Finnish, German, Icelandic, Italian
English, Finnish, German, Icelandic