Olga
Is 'May I come in' suitable for a classrom situation? We usually say 'May I come in' when we enter the classroom, but I have heard that it's not a suitable expression. Is it true?
4
0
The expression is 100% correct and 100% suitable, Olga.. but it would be better still with a 'please,' on the end...
If you need to ask for permission to enter a room, the phrase is suitable. It can be used in any situation if you want to know if you are allowed to enter somewhere.
Under what circumstances are you referring to - that you would need to ask to enter a classroom? In the US, you would just enter and say nothing. This, of course, is when you are supposed to be there. :) If you are not supposed to be there, you would not enter at all. In this case, if you asked, you would be refused. Is there a specific circumstance that you are referring to? (Maybe following the rules of another culture/country, but having to speak in English?)
I think it is good to use like that. I, my friend and my teacher also say so
Olga