victoria
Could you please tell me what the verb is for trains? I know 'drive a car'/fly a plane. But what's the verb to describe ...a train?
11
0
you can treat it like a car , drive/ride a train . depends on what you want to say
The train operator would be the best word to use in English, in my opinion.
Conduct a train. The person who "drives" the train is a Train Conductor in American English and a Guard in British English. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductor_(rail)
Once again, I agree with Steven. 'Conductor' is definitely wrong, although the word looks appealing to speakers of Latin languages. 'Conductor' (Spanish) 'Condutor' (Portuguese), for example, mean driver. In English, however, 'conductor' doesn't refer to the driver of the train. The conductor/guard supervises the running of the service but does NOT drive the train. Who drives the train? The driver, of course. The person who drives a train is a train driver.
Thank you! Got it~
victoria
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese