atingvivi
What's the meaning of this sentence? "Clearly, most of the students there are full-time workers who would not otherwise have been able to embark on sustained further study. ” Is "not otherwise " a set phrase? Is "have been able to..." a subjunctive mood here? Thanks for your answers!!!
6
0
This sentence doesn't sound unusual to me at all. Perhaps it's an American construction that isn't used very often in Britain or Australia. My guess is that this is from an article or paper about an education program. Usually full time workers can't get further education because work and school meet at the same time and there's a conflict. They also are busy with paying work so they don't have time for schoolwork. Or in other words, they can *not otherwise embark on sustained further study.* The program that he's talking about removes the obstacles, so that they are able to do the sustained study of whatever-it-is.
This is not a natural sentence, it's awkward and the grammar is poor. It's English with Chinese characteristics. You won't learn anything by studying this kind of stuff, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to make sense of it for you. The internet is full of authentic English, written by native speakers who know how the language works. Why are you using material written by Chinese people? If you are serious about improving your English, throw it away, and start using grammatically correct, natural-sounding material instead.
It's a bit of an odd sentence that perhaps needs further context. In any case, to me it implies that their full-time work has enabled them to continue their education, as if it's paying for it (or something). The oddity is in describing the "students" as "full-time workers". Is this from a native English writer?
After there , must be a , He demonstrates that: Majority of the students are full time laborers. If they were not full time workers , they could study further continuously.
atingvivi