Damon
How to understand "happening" as an adjective A line from a show goes "I am a cool mom, I'm hip, I'm happening". I know cool means having a style, hip means up to date, but what does happening mean?
4
0
It's an ironic word to describe someone who thinks that they are "up to date" and "cool", but in reality not so much ;) The various words used in the sentence all mean the same thing basically.
"Hip" and "happening" are slang from decades ago (I believe the 1940s and 1960s) and really not used very often. So, when someone says "I'm hip. I'm happening." that person is using very old-fashioned words about being up to date. The mom was mocking people who wouldn't know that "hip" and "happening" are too old fashioned. As mocking out-of-date things is something that young and cool people do, she must be young and cool.
Damon