Satoshi Honolulu
Subjunctive mood Please tell me if my comprehension about subjunctive mood is okay. conditional type 1 "Hey, how was your test yesterday? If you were good, I will give you something." conditional type 2 "Hey, next test is tomorrow. If you were good, I would give you something."
17. Okt 2016 12:23
5
0
Thank you for everyone that let me know the natural way of saying in this situation. Native speakers' comments always count.
21. Oktober 2016
Since you are talking about your understanding of the subjunctive mood, I want to add that the subjunctive mood is not used in any of your sentences. So your question actually has nothing to do with the subjunctive mood.
17. Oktober 2016
If you amend the second sentence slightly, you could use would: If you were to do well, I would give you something. However, the second suggestion above sounds more natural.
17. Oktober 2016
We do not use the expression "were good," in this way. We would say "if you did well," (if the test had already been taken) or "if you do well," (if the test has yet to be taken). In both of these sentences (above) we would use "will," rather than would: "If you did well, I will give you something." "If you do well, I will give you something."
17. Oktober 2016
The second should be: "Hey, the next test is tomorrow. If you are good, I will give you something."
17. Oktober 2016
Satoshi Honolulu