Maria
Community Tutor
HELP! ならって行きました? I know that the te-form of intransitive verbs like 走る, etc., plus 行く and 来る express how the moving is performed (for example 犬が走って行きました means that the dog ran away from the speaker) But when the verbs are transitive, is the action performed before coming/going/returning? Does "マリアさんはイタリアで日本語をならって行きました" means that Maria learned Japanese in Italy before going somewhere?
2
0
I’m not exactly sure what your point is... I guess you already know that a transitive verb requires an agent to complete the verb, and it generally focuses on someone who does/did the action. Person は/が Object を Verb for example. So if your “action” means the object, you are right. The word order of Japanese is “subject - object – verb”, so the verb is basically at the end of a sentence except inversion. Sentence ending particles like “ね” or “よ” and etc, do come after the verb tho. As for your Japanese phrase, it’s a bit hard to understand without context. “マリアさんは、イタリアで日本語を習ってから(“place”へ)行きました“ is similar with your English sentence, so I can guess she is going to somewhere after learning Japanese. Adding a place to the sentence will help readers better understand in this case. Sorry if I misunderstood your question. :/
Yes, you are correct. "マリアさんはイタリアで日本語をならって行きました" means that Maria learned Japanese in Italy before going somewhere. "マリアさんはイタリアで日本語をならって来ました" means that Maria learned Japanese in Italy before coming (to the speaker). However, I would probably say "マリアさんはイタリアで日本語をならってから行きました" and "マリアさんはイタリアで日本語をならってから来ました". I am not sure about the grammatical explanations but adding "から" makes the time reference clearer. (lit. translation: After learning Japanese in Italy, Maria went somewhere./After learning Japanese in Italy, Maria came here.) But your examples are totally understandable and correct. Other examples... マリアさんはドアを開けて(から)行った。Maria opened the door before going. マリアさんはドアを開けて(から)来た。Maria opened the door before coming.
Maria
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Filipino (Tagalog), Italian, Japanese, Spanish
Japanese, Spanish