Amr
(Catch_22 ) meaning !! in this sentence , You can't get a job without an experience , and you can't get an experience without job ... That's a catch_22 _ what's the meaning of Catch_22 ? and is it used in common by native speakers ?
7
0
I'm a U.S. native speaker. It is a reference to the bitter, black-humor novel, "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. It has entered the language. I think that in the U.S. it really is commonly understood. It's in the American Heritage dictionary, and I'll reproduce their definitions: 1. A situation in which a desired outcome or solution is impossible to attain because of a set of inherently contradictory rules or conditions 2. A contradictory or self-defeating course of action 3. A tricky or disadvantageous condition; a catch In your case, the meaning that applies is meaning number 1, which is also the basic meaning in Heller's novel. In Heller's novel, Catch-22 was this: the only way you could get out of the military was to show that you were insane, but if you wanted to get out of the military it proved that you weren't insane--therefore there was actually no way to get out.
It's a reference to a book by Joseph Heller, Catch 22, where a similar situation is described. I'm not a native English speaker but I'd say it is quite common. I've even heard this in languages other then English.
It's Catch-22, and it's actually more about the unsolvable loopholes caused by military bureaucracy that are slanted towards those of higher ranks. However, it's not understood by many and your example of it's use is often used by Americans. It's uncommon in Britain.
A Catch-22 describes a lose-lose situation (or as we say, a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation). In the example you provided, it is assumed that the only way you can gain experience is if you have a job. It is also assumed that most people who are looking for jobs are unemployed. Thus, if you're unemployed and looking for a job, you can't get a job because you lack the experience that comes with having a job. There's no way you can win. English-speakers do commonly use this term to describe this sort of predicament.
Amr
Arabic, English