Danyel
I have lived here for 9 years... I have lived here for 9 years. & І havе bееn lіvіng hеrе for 9 yеars. What is the difference?
11
0
If you mean that you moved here in 2007 and you are still living here now, the meaning is exactly the same. Unlike most other verbs, the verbs 'live' 'work' and sometimes 'study' have the same meaning in the present perfect simple and present perfect continuous. For example, there's no difference at all between saying 'I've worked here since May 1st' and 'I've been working here since May 1' . @appla has a point that 'I have lived [somewhere] for ...' could conceivably mean that you lived there in the past but don't live there now. For example, if you are talking in general terms about your life so far, you might possibly say 'I've lived in lots of different places. I live in Rome now, but I've also lived in London for 6 years, and I've lived Paris for 5 years.' However, it would be very unusual to say 'I've lived HERE for 9 years' to mean that you no longer live in this place. That is not how a native English speaker would use or understand this sentence.
All depends on the context of the sentence, but in general, one can assume the following: 1. The simple aspect of tenses imply: (state, fact) a) that the action is permanent b) that the action is finished "I have lived here for 9 years" could therefore imply: a) I have lived here for 9 years, I don't live here anymore and I want to emphasise that it is a rather permanent situation. b) I have lived here for 9 years. I don't live here anymore. I'm sad to be leaving today. 2. the continuous or progressive aspect of tenses imply: (stress on durational aspect) a) the situation is in progress, unfinished. b) the situation is temporary "I have been living here for 9 years", could therefore imply: a) I have been living here for 9 years, so my residence is still here, I still live here. b) I have been living here for 9 years, but I'm not really planning to stay here. This isn't permanent. The idea behind tenses and aspect is almost philosophical in nature, in the sense that one sentence written in one tense could be interpreted in many different ways. That's why I started my answer with stressing the importance of the context of the sentence. For instance, if I'm walking around with a friend and suddenly I say: "I hate this place, I have been living here for 9 years." This means I want to change something about my situation and so I stress that the situation isn't permanent by using the progressive/continuous aspect. Summary: Present perfect will always describe a general state (with non-specific time, e.g. yesterday or 5 pm --> that's for simple past), whereas present perfect progressive will always stress the durational aspect of the sentence. I hope this answers your question. Dennie
sorry for my wrong answer.but i still want leave my answer here== 1:above mean in the past i lived here, now i don't live here.2:below mean i lived here 9 years ago and now i still live here~.hope can help you.
Danyel
Belarusian, English, French, Russian, Ukrainian