Pelin
Are both sentences OK? Or, what would you say? This is our source of livelihood. We make our living from this.
5
0
That seems correct. I don't know what the context is however, so i'm not 100% sure. I might say something similar: This is how I make a living This is more livelihood This is my life's work
You don't say "source of livelihood. " The reason is that the word "source" is redundant. If you just say "this is our livelihood" you've said the same thing. The other sentence about making a living from this is fine. One of the finest writers of all time was Bertrand Russell. A native English speaker from Britain, Russell said as a little kid, among reading ever book he could get his hands on, he would go through this little language exercise. He'd take an English sentence and practice re-writing it using as few words as possible without compromising the meaning. It's actually a great little tool to remember. The best writing style (and this is probably true in every language) is saying something you want to say using as few words as necessary to convey the meaning. Needless to say, Russell was a brilliant writer and a child prodigy.
I think "this is our source of livelihood" sounds a little awkward. I would probably say "This is our livelihood" or "this is how we make a living." The only difference between the two to me is "that this is our livelihood" is a tiny tiny bit more formal, so it sounds stronger or more intense in everyday use. For example: 1) A -You work 14 hour daysl! that must be hard... B- yep. but this is how I make a living. 2) A-We're selling the shop Mr. Grendel. B-Please don't do that! This is my livelihood! I won't be able to eat without it!
Both are fine. The first is more formal. You could also say, "This is how we make our living."
I think "This is our source of livelihood" is the better option. However, I would probably say: "This is how we make a living."
Pelin
English, Turkish