Angel
Working with 는것 so I am working on creating more complex sentences and normalizing verbs and such to get used to it. (It's so hard T.T) But I'm experimenting and wonder if I'm doing them right. I have an ideal sentence and trying to convert them in Korean. Feel free to correct and give me insights. ideal sentence: "There is a big tree next to my house that I like to sit under and read." 1. “제 집 옆에 큰 나무 있는 밑에 앉고 읽은 것을 좋아해요.” -* I get that this sentence is referring/translating itself to "I like to sit and read..." and so on. 2. 제 집 옆에 큰 나무 밑에 앉고 읽은 것을 좋아하는 있어요.
4
1
1. "I like to sit and read under the big tree next to my house" => 저는 우리 집 옆(의) 큰 나무 밑에 앉아서 책 읽는 걸 좋아해요. * Your version has some errors: 앉고 -> 앉아 or 앉아서; 읽은 것 -> 읽는 것 (present tense). 2. "There is a big tree next to my house that I like to sit under and read." This sentence is created by joining two simpler sentences. - There is a BIG TREE next to my house ++ I like to sit under the BIG TREE and read. Similarly, we can try join the two Korean sentences corresponding to them. - (1) 우리 집 옆에는 [큰 나무]가 있어요 ++ (2) 저는 [큰 나무] 밑에 앉아서 책 읽기를 좋아해요. We will substitute S-2 in S-1 as an attributive sub-clause modifying 큰 나무. We first do a brute-force substitution dropping in S-2 just before 큰 나무, and then make refinements. => 우리 집 옆에는 [저는 큰 나무 밑에 앉아서 책 읽기를 좋아해요] *큰 나무*가 있어요. 1. 큰 나무 in the subordinate clause should be removed since otherwise we have two unlinked noun phrases. => 우리 집 옆에는 [저는 * 밑에 앉아서 책 읽기를 좋아해요] 큰 나무가 있어요. 2. Since the sub-clause is supposed to modify 큰 나무, the ending of it should change to an adjectival form ~는. => 우리 집 옆에는 [저는 밑에 앉아서 책 읽기를 *좋아하는*] 큰 나무가 있어요. 3. When this kind of subordination occurs, 은/는 belonging to the subject of the sub-clause changes to 이/가. (It's because the new sentence is no longer about 저(I) - 저 goes from the center stage to a supporting role) => 우리 집 옆에는 [*제가* 밑에 앉아서 책 읽기를 좋아하는] 큰 나무가 있어요. The sentence in #3 is already a good one, but it seems a little inadequate in connecting 제가 밑에 앉아서 and 그 나무. When the reader is reading 제가 밑에 ... there is no clear indication that it means "under SOMETHING". To help this, we usually add "그" where the linking noun used to be in the sub-clause. => 우리 집 옆에는 제가 *그* 밑에 앉아서 책 읽기를 좋아하는 큰 나무가 있어요. This appears to be the closest sentence to the English original. Hope you get the gist of it.
저는 제 집 근처(에 있는) 큰 나무밑에 앉아서 독서하는 것을 좋아해요.
Angel
Korean