秉奇
There was a live ball game on TV last night. I kept watching it and didn’t go to bed until 3 a.m. a. “There was a live ball game on TV last night. I kept watching it and didn’t go to bed until 3 a.m.” b. “There was a live ball game on TV last night. I had been watching it and didn’t go to bed until 3 a.m." c. "There was a live ball game on TV last night. I had been watching it before I went to bed at 3 a.m.” d. "I was watching a ball game, which was broadcast live on TV last night, until 3 a.m." e. "Before sleeping, I watched a live ball game until three o’clock in the morning last night." Are sentences a to e all correct? If not, how should I fix them? Why? I, myself, think sentences c and d are correct and sound good and the others are a little odd. Thanks!
2
0
a, c, d and e are fine. I think sentence b sounds strange. I think this is because you have used the past perfect tense but have not clearly described a *subsequent* action in the way that you have done in sentence c. Instead, in sentence b, you have provided a statement about what time you went to bed - your sentence has not clearly located one thing after the other (even though this is obviously what you mean). Sentence c is definitely correct. But sentence b should, I think, be re-phrased so as to use the simple past tense: "There was a live ball game on TV last night, I watched it and did not go to bed until 3 AM. By the way, just so that you know: "Ball game," is only really used like this in American English. In the language of the UK and the Commonwealth we would usually specify the type of sport that you were watching.. For example "There was a football match," or "There was a cricket match..."
For common spoken American English, we would most likely say A or better yet: The below statement would be commonly spoken or written in American English. There was a live ball game on TV last night. I watched it until I went to bed at 3 A.M. .
秉奇
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish