Lim
Which one is correct? What are their differences? 1) My bag's gone. I've been ____. 2) When Lan looked in her purse, she found her ring had been ____. A. stolen B. robbed C. thieved D. kidnapped
6
0
To tell the difference between "stolen" and "robbed", take a look at the difference between what is included in the two sentences/parts of sentences. "I've been robbed" - the focus is a person (I). The second sentence doesn't say anything about what was taken. "She found her ring had been stolen" - the focus is on the thing that was taken. Notice that this sentence includes what was taken. So, "PERSON" was robbed. "THING" was stolen. Of course, you can steal people too, but in that case, we usually say "kidnapped" or "abducted".
1) B - robbed 2) A - stolen ''rob'' and ''steal'' both mean ‘take something from someone without permission’ ''rob'' focuses on the place or person from which the thing is taken: e.g. The gand robbed three banks last week. Our local post office was robbed early on Tuesday morning. A young woman was attacked and robbed last night. ''steal'' focuses on the thing that is taken: e.g. Our car was stolen from outside our house last week. I hope this is helpful :)
1. Answer B 2. Answer. A
Lim
English, Vietnamese