kelven
Please, what's meaning of 'the law among politically vital independents'? And a recent poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a non-partisan outfit, revealed that hostility to the laws among politically vital independents has shot up sharply. Is it means that the law needs independents? The sentence is from the passage "What will become of Barack Obama’s health reforms?"
5
0
They're referring to those who vote as independents (as opposed to Democratic or Republican) having changed their views markedly on Obama's healthcare reforms (Obamacare) and that they, the independents, are becoming increasingly opposed to Obamacare. Politically vital just means politically important. The independents are politically important, according to the article. I think that's hard to believe, but I haven't read the article.
For I don't familiarize American Politics, I learn a lot from your answers. So far I know independents are someone who are independent politicians. This is enough for me by now. Thank you all again.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your reasoning behind why independents are vital, I think you are reading in an implication that just isn't there about independents aligning with Republicans in opposition to Obamacare. It's a possibility, but it just goes beyond what's in the quote. And it doesn't really address the question the author posed.
"Politically vital independents": Here in the US, general elections are not decided as much by Democrats and Republicans as by Independents. This is because a large percentage of those registered to a specific political party will vote for their own party and will support their own party policies no matter what happens. To a certain extent, their votes can be taken for granted during a general election (as opposed to in a primary election). However, the power to decide general elections lies with independents because, in theory, they can be persuaded to vote for either party. They represent about 20% of the electorate - and if Your political party can capture the indenpendent vote -!you win! Therefore, to win an election and retain support for a policy, such as the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare), it is vital to have the support of independent voters. If hostility to the Affordable Care Act has "shot up" then the Republicans have an opportunity to use opposition to the act as an election issue. It means that, in the opinion of the author, there is a much higher chance of the act being changed or completely replaced because the political will to maintain the policy has evaporated.
kelven