ACACAC
I have a trouble in a game dialogue. I'm playing Dead Road to Canada, a quite awesome game. Well, when a pessimistic guy said, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.", I was totally confused. The first part is quite easy to understand. Take the bill for instance. I should have paid seven hundred bucks, while finally I just spent seventy bucks. I would say, "It's too good to be true." However, considering the second part, I doubt whether it means this thing probably exist or not. Looking forward to some respond. I will really appricate it if someone can help me out.
7
0
The sentence as a whole means that you should trust your instincts. If you think that something looks 'too good to be true' (in other words a mistake, a trick or a scam) then it probably is one of these things. Try substituting 'too good to be true' with one of these words: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is." = "If it looks [ like it's a scam], it probably is [one]."
This is an extremely common saying in English. It means that if something looks like an amazing offer or really good news then somebody is probably trying to con you. For example, most of the world will have received an e-mail, informing you that: "You have won a Free Iphone 7. All you have to do to claim your prize is fill in your details." The truth is, of course, that you have done no such thing and that, if you fill in the form, you will definitely: a) Not receive a free iPhone 7. b) Receive even more spam than you were already receiving. The news that you have won a Free Iphone 7 looks like amazingly good news. But it is "too good to be true," as it's really a trick.
If it looks too good to be true, [it's because] it probably is [too good to be true] This is essentially a shortened expression which omits the "because" and the restatement of the topic of the "be" verb. Other examples: If I look like i am angry, it's because I am angry. => If I look angry, I am. If studies show that it's true, it's because it is true. => If studies show it's true, it is.
ACACAC