Jacqueline
Is 'for' needed in this sentence? "I'd like to read this novel for the second time." Or "I'd like to read this novel the second time?" Which sentence is correct? When does the sentence need 'for' (for the second/first/time), and when doesn't? What's the difference between 'for the second/first time' and 'the second/first time"? Thanks!
13
0
I do not think that you should use "the" at all in this context. I cannot give a grammatical reason, but would say that in this sense a second time does not yet exist, so you cannot refer to it using a definite article. With that in mind, "I'd like to read this novel a second time" sounds better to me. I would say "I'd like to read this novel again." Once you have read the novel again, you could say "The second time I read the novel, I noticed a lot more details", as suggested by Monika. Examples of using "for": Teacher to student: "For the second time (of asking), behave yourself." Wife to husband: "(For) the first time we go on holiday together, can we book a first-class seat?" [For is optional and possibly a little unnatural] Book reader: ""(For) the second time I read this novel, I want to try it in a foreign language." [Again, for is optional]
Alternatively, "I'd like to read this novel a second time".
When talking about reading a book once more, both “the second time” and “for the second time” are unnatural. Your best options are what James and Martyn suggested: "I'd like to read this novel a second time" or "I'd like to read this novel again." In the following sentence either “a”, “the” or “for the” would be fine: “I really liked the novel when I read it_____second time”.
Whilst "I'd like to read this novel the second time" doesn't seem incorrect, "the second time" describes the time when something happened, not the "once more" intention you mean in this sentence. Intention to read it again: "I'd like to read it for the second time" / "I'd like to read it once more" But: "The second time I read this novel, I noticed a lot more details"
Jacqueline
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian
English, Italian