Ethan
How do I understand "in line with" in this sentence? “When looking at what would be in line with avoiding dangerous levels of climate change, we found that you could only stabilise the ratio of food-related emissions to all emissions if everyone adopted a plant-based diet,” Springmann says. “That scenario is not very realistic – but it highlights the importance that food-related emissions will play in the future.” Their finding is similar to avoiding dangerous levels of climate change? What does it mean?
4
0
'Similar' is close but "in line with" has this extra meaning. As in, for something to happen, this thing would need to happen first. So, to avoid dangerous levels of climate change, people would need to switch to a plant based diet first. Or, put another way: I need to buy books. In line with that fact, I will need money to buy them.
"in line with" = necessary for
hmm it's a little unusual - I would say it means something like - when looking at what would be the steps to take, or when looking at what the solution would be - or when looking at what would help avoiding ... but I may be wrong!
Ethan
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
English, German