Hilda
Difference between instantiation and example? Are there any differences between instantiation and example besides the formality?
9
0
And if you spoke this word in the US you'd probably be laughed at.
I suppose not, although I hear instantiation used far more often as a verb (instantiate) - and by 'far more often' I mean I've actually heard and seen instantiate used, where as I have never seen instantiation used. It seems to be very technical, because it also has a specific computer science definition, and that's most of what I see if I google it: dictionary definitions and computer science usages. Not a lot of other usages.
Wow. Is there a difference? Ah yeah. The difference is that in the US about 99% of the population will have never heard of the word "instantiation" but everyone has heard of "example." I'm 58, a native speaker of English and a lawyer and I have never heard the word "instantiation" in my entire life. It appears to be a real word but you should check it out in a good dictionary because it could be obsolete, meaning it is no longer used and is unlikely to be understood by native speaker. I'd drop "instantiation" from your word list. You'd get some really puzzled looks if you used that word in the US.
Instantiate is mainly used in Obect Orientated Programming (OOP) computer programing. Where you instantiate an object from a class. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instance_(computer_science) Think of the class as a house blueprint, and the instance (object) as a house built from (instantiated from) the blueprint (Class).
Hilda
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English