Nick
What's the most popular dictionaries among American students? How about the dictionaries in kindle? I've tried Collins3, Merriam-Webster, but no translation for some words sometimes.
22 de Out de 2016 às 14:52
8
0
If you are REALLY looking for the most comprehensive dictionaries of the English language, you could try the Merriam Webster Unabridged -- http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/ -- but you have to pay for access ($30 a year). If you are a scholar of the English language, the ultimate authority is the Oxford English Dictionary, http://www.oed.com/, but it is very expensive ($300 a year) and probably far beyond what is necessary even for native speakers. For any but the most advanced students, Merriam-Webster, I would guess, is still the most popular choice, but there is always the Internet as well.
22 de Outubro de 2016
I personally am very fond of the American Heritage Dictionary. I own a print copy, and the first dictionary I go to online is the no-cost online version, ahdictionary.com. Two reasons I like it are that I find the definitions to be exceptionally clear and well-written, and when there is a usage question, I feel that they have excellent usage notes. The print edition is larger and heavier than most "desk dictionaries" but manageable, and the price is reasonable. Like all English dictionaries, it seeks to record actual usage--"descriptive, not prescriptive." However, the "usage notes" then present intelligent opinions, like "The stigmatization of 'ain't' leaves us with no happy alternative for use in first-person questions. The widely used 'aren't I?,' though irregular, was found acceptable for use in speech by a majority of the Usage Panel as long ago as 1964, but in writing there is no acceptable substitute for the stilted 'am I not?'"
22 de Outubro de 2016
sometimes you will have to use a combination of dictionaries. If you can't find the word, try doing a web search for that word.
22 de Outubro de 2016
"...no translation for some words sometimes..." Dictionaries restrict themselves to words that have "entered the language" in the sense of being used in written English. They include important slang, colloquialisms, and the major "bad words" but they are not at all comprehensive. Although it bills itself as an encyclopedia rather than a dictionary, I find Wikipedia to be just _excellent_ for understanding recent faddish terms, popular culture, and "taboo" subjects. The thing about Wikipedia is that the open editing and the social structure actually result in very good quality control and I find it to be very trustworthy. (Another online site, the "Urban Dictionary," is not).
23 de Outubro de 2016
I use Merriam Webster
22 de Outubro de 2016
Nick