Kent
There is a sentence I realy don't understand. " Similarly, if target customers don't have the habit of reading newspapers, having your advertisement printed on newspapers will surely be a waste of money." I realy don't understand what's the meaning of the "having" in the sentence? And if delate the "having" , Is the sentence still correct? I wish you help me.
5
0
Think of it like: "Having done that, I wasted my money". The "having" implies the action has been done. You could in theory drop the having from your sentence and it would still make sense.
I think in this context gerund phrase " Having your advertisement printed on newspapers " is the subject of the sentence, and it has the same meaning as " Asking your advertisement to be printed on newspapers" . If your drop "having " it may catch people's drift in spoken English, but not in written English. And the context mentioned above , in my mind , is written English.
OK . Thank you. Could you give me some examples for this phrase?
Having something done will be ...; Having the advertisement printed on papers will be a bad idea,because there is nobody reading papers anymore,especilly them target customers.
Kent