Ronnie
how to remember English words I remember English words every day,but I will forget them after a few days.what should I do.Please give me some advice,thank you very much.
18
0
I'm sorry but this is impossible if you are not a native speaker I can proudly say that Im an avid learner , I learn english everyday but yet I found that there are 2 stages : 1 . you understand a word , know its meaning in your native language 2 . you halfway understand a word , you can use it it english like it's nothing but you forget the meaning in your native tongue and you have a hard time translating them (which I',m right now ) I dont know why but I always end up in the 2nd stage no matter how hard i learn a single word
Try and associate the new word with something that you aleady know. Make the association as vivid as absolutely possible. For example I'm trying to learn Polish. The word for thank you in Polish is Dziękuję Polish consonants and letter combinations sound totally different to the pronounciation of the English alphabet. Dziękuję is pronounced in English as djenkooye. I rememeber how to pronounce this word in the following way: My sister in law is called Jennifer, which is often abbreviated to Jenny or Jen. One of the web designer people I follow is called Chris Coyier from www.css-tricks.com I take my sisters abbreviated name Jen and add it to the surname of Chris from CSS tricks. If I do this I get Jen + Coyier or JenCoyier, which when pronounced together actually sounds like the English pheonetic translation of the word Dziękuję - djenkooye. The important thing here, is to try to associate new language with things you already know. I hope that helps. PS From my little understanding of Chinese. Every syllable is represented by a Chinese character. For example If I wanted to remember the word for knee in Chinese, I would probably remember it in the following way. Kneeing Hitler in the balls, why he was shouting sieg heil It is a very vivid picture that is painted in my mind. I have also associated knee with the sound of the word. sieg heil sounds very similar to 膝蓋(Xīgài). Well, similar enough to jog my memory.
In my opinion, there are 2 main ways to make sure you remember new vocabulary. The first is to download a vocabulary app. These are extremely useful, in my opinion the best one is called 'flashcards deluxe app'. With this you enter any new vocabulary that you learn into the app and you can test yourself on it. It's quite fun and very convenient if you have a smartphone. I would recommend trying to spend about 2 minutes per day on this, but try to make it a habit. Here is a link with more information about it: http://flashcardsdeluxe.com/flashcards/ Reading English every day is the second way to remember new vocabulary. You will be so surprised at how often new words that you learn appear in everyday things that you read. The key is to be 'immersed' or surrounded by the English language as much as possible. If you don't enjoy reading too much, then watching videos or films in English as often as possible will also really help to keep those new words in your head!
Your brain is smart. It doesn’t allow you to remember something it doesn’t consider important for you to remember - that would be a waste of valuable “brain resources”. If you don’t use a word regularly, your brain will conclude it’s not important and you will forget it. If you use the words you want to learn regularly, your brain will think they must be important and gradually begin to store them in your long term memory.
I have just found an article on italki, by the polygot Richard Simcott dated 20 October 2016. Hope his advise helps. https://www.italki.com/article/867/Why-Is-Vocabulary-Important-And-How-Do-I-learn-It
Ronnie
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese