Pelin
Can you explain the difference? I have good news for you. I have some good news for you.
3
0
There's very little difference. "I have some good news" is muted and less enthusiastic. It suggests that the good news isn't very important or very good. It suggests that there is also other news that is not so good. However... using "some good news" could easily just be understatement, and the news is actually very good news. Some people just use understatement. Someone might say "I have a little bit of good news for you" and then tell you something wonderful.
"What's the difference?" Good question! The answer is: there is no difference! It's like: what's the difference between "I have cookies for you" and "I have some cookies for you." But, in a special situation, this the second might be preferred (that's a "might," not a "must"): if the listener is hoping for or expecting good news, I might prefer to say "I have some good news for you." I might to do this to make the listener more excited, because they are already hoping for some specific good news -- so, if I just say "good news" it's not specific and the listener's mind might not jump to the specific news that he/she hopes for; if I say "some good news," he or she will probably think "ah, this is the news I was hoping for." So in most cases, there is no difference. But in one special situation, it makes a tiny difference.
Pelin
English, Turkish