Lotus
What does "fully in the vein of" mean? The sentence: Some Marxist terrorists saw themselves fully in the vein of Guevara and Castro, such as FARC and the Shining Path in Latin America. These groups believed (and believe) that they were (and are) the manifestation of the proletariat revolution in their countries. Does it mean inherit "important qualities" or "fully adopt"? Thanks very much!!
24 de Out de 2016 às 00:07
8
0
It just means that they are exactly alike ... or that two things are comparably close. If you replace fully in the vein of with the words (exactly like), then you get ... Some Marxist terrorists saw themselves exactly like Guevara and Castro,
24 de Outubro de 2016
I don't understand it perfectly. I feel that it is a clumsy use of language and not perfectly clear. Minerals in the earth sometimes occur in streaks or layers called "veins." You can say that something "has a vein of X" meaning that at first glance you don't see much of it, but if you dig deeper or in the right place you will find a lot of it. Thus, one might say "Mark Twain's humor has a vein of despair beneath it"--there is a hidden layer of despair under the merriment. In your passage, I think the writer is using "to be in the same vein as" to mean "to share the essential qualities of." Or possibly it means "tradition." The Marxist terrorists believed they were essentially the same as Guevara and Castro, or were carrying on the same tradition. However, I'm guessing that's what the writer means from context. I'm not really getting that from the strict meaning of the English words the writer chose.
24 de Outubro de 2016
“Vein” can mean “quality, style, tendency, manner”. I agree with Dan Smith that it’s not perfectly clear what it means. Perhaps it would be clear to someone who is familiar with this subject matter, but I’m not. I know who Guevara and Castro are, but I don’t know much about exactly what they believed and how they viewed themselves. If Dawei Zhijiage’s interpretation is correct and it means “Some Marxist terrorists saw themselves exactly like Guevara and Castro”, I’m still not sure what that means. Like them in which way? That they were the manifestation of the proletariat revolution in their countries? Perhaps, I don’t know. An easy to understand use of “fully in the vein of” occurs in this example: “By the mid-1950s, she was working fully in the vein of Abstract Expressionism.” Here you can simply replace "vein" with "style".
24 de Outubro de 2016
我想应该是“血脉相承”的意思吧,我就这么一说,你看呢?
24 de Outubro de 2016
Lotus
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Spanish
English, Japanese, Spanish