Logan
How do auxiliary verbs (せる) modify stems? I'm a Japanese beginner learner and have a question about some Japanese grammar. I read that せる is an auxiliary verb indicating activity or granting permission. 見る to look vs 見せる To show ( allow something to be seen) I understand some conjugations like "can" can see 見れる can hear 聞ける Can This (is せる a Conjugation?) be applied to other verbs? 聞く Or 飲む. if so, how do you use せる with non-ru verbs. I tried googling other articles but couldn't find one I could understand ... Thanks!
3
0
I think you've got it a bit mixed up. You are probably thinking of the auxiliary conjugation that is させる (Causative). Тhis is added to a verb to mean either that someone gives permission or that someone forces you to do it. The verb 見せる is indeed related to 見る, but it's a separate verb and not a conjugation of みる. 見れる and 聞こえる mean "are able to see/hear", but are also not conjugations of 見る and 聞く. They only act like a potential form for those verbs. All verbs can be conjugated into either a potential form or a causative form: る-Verbs: Remove る and add られる or させる 食べる (to eat) 食べられる (can eat) 食べさせる (allowed to eat/forced to eat) 借りる (to borrow) 借りられる (can borrow) 借りさせる (allowed to borrow/forced to borrow) う-Verbs: Change the syllable into the え (potential) or あ (causative) in that consonant's row 飲む (to drink) 飲める (can drink) 飲ませる (allowed to drink/forced to drink) 働く (to work) 働ける (can work) 働かせる (allowed to work/forced to work)
oh... Ok so for Ru verbs it is stem + せる but for non Ru verbs it is the a stem +せる so these might not make sense but 話させる、読ませる、食べせる。 I think I understand enough to figure out how to use it.... Thank you Yui
こんにちは。It is a little difficult for me to explain in English, but I can show you some example sentences. I hope if it will be of some help! 私は あなたに 写真を 見せます。 I'll show you a photo. 背を高く 見せる ために、ハイヒールを はきます。I wears high heels to make myself look taller. お母さんは、赤ちゃんに 音楽を 聞かせる。Mom is having baby listen to music. 私は あなたに、昨日の 話を 聞かせる。 I'll tell you what happened yesterday. 私は あなたに、水を 飲ませる。I will make you drink water 書く→書かせる 持つ→持たせる 食べる→食べさせる する→させる....
Logan
Japanese