Kevin
Is there a kind of grammatical mistakes that even the native speakers always make? After being tortured by grammar problems and tests for all these years, I wonder if there is a kind of grammatical mistakes that even the native speakers always make. Or is there a grammar rule even the native speakers find really hard to master?
14
0
I understand that you want to feel better about the learning experience, but you should realise that typical native speaker mistakes are very different from typical learner mistakes. Ironically, the parts of English where we (almost) never make mistakes are the same parts where learners frequently make mistakes. For example, articles, phrasal verbs, modals and prepositions.
I don't think there are common mistakes that people make in their native language but there may be some variation from what is generally considered 'normal'. Any mistakes would generally be seen as a result of a poor education or back ground or sometimes just typos - where people type/write the wrong words. As for learning other language many English speakers have problems learning other language because of the grammar, agreements between adjectives and nouns, verb endings in different cases and other. This is because generally English grammar is considered to be easier than other languages. Please remember that for Mandarin speakers to learn English not only do you have to learn new grammar but also sentence structure AND a new alphabet! Best wishes Bob
Hello Italkian friend! Greetings from Brazil. Yeah, they do! I may say a lot! African american people from the southwest of the USA, for instance, never use "does" for he/she/it. They usually say: Momma don't know what I do! They may also sometimes say: " You is a good man"! You see? Speaking correctly might not be only foreigners' trouble! Let's see something from famous rock bands like the Beatles and the Rolling stones. In the song "Ticket to ride" John and Paul sing: " She's got a ticket to ride but she don't care! (Wouldn't it be, "she doesn't care?) Another example from Mick Jagger's voice: I can't get no satisfaction! ( wouldn't it be: "I can't get ANY satisfaction"?) As you can see, sometimes it is not that important to speak English so correctly except you are in a situation that demands you to do so, like an important meeting or an international conference. In short, enjoy the trip, ´cause you're not alone! Cheers! Getulio Tamid
Some places in England speak with a different "dialect", you could say, which is grammatically incorrect. For example, some places say "we was" instead of "we were", however the correct tense of to be is easy to master and therefore that just showcases how different places just speak differently. My friends (for some reason) have a lot of trouble differentiating "your" and "you're" and "genuinely" and "generally" and where to use them (they also get their "they're/their/there" structures confused), however I'm not quite sure why.
Kevin
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese, Spanish
English, French, Japanese, Spanish