yanagi
Does "congratulations on the grand opening of XXX conference" sound OK to you? Hello. My company is holding an international conference tomorrow and we are putting a new banner on our homepage to indicate and celebrate the opening of the conference and we need some phrases to put on the banner. I'm wondering if "congratulations on the grand opening of XXX conference" sounds OK to native English speakers. I never saw such slogans. I noticed there are expressions on flyers such as "grand opening of XXX center/institute/shop" and I don't know if I could use this structure here since there are some difference between an event and a building. Thanks :)
3
0
This banner is directed to every visitors of our website, not only to the conference attendees. Therefore, "welcome to the XXX conference" sounds a little inappropriate to me. I share the feeling that "grand" sounds weird, but I could not think of another word. How about "Coming soon, XXX conference"? The word "congratulations" is added to create an auspicious and lively atmosphere. I think it's used to congratulate the successful opening of the conference.
Is this banner directed towards attendees? If so, why not just "Welcome to the XXX Conference"? "congratulations" sounds like you're congratulating your own company - Is that the point? - Are you congratulating the people who worked to set up the conference? To me, the "opening" of a conference would only be the first day..."grand" sounds weird for a conference.
Good question, my feeling is that you "launch" a conference. Let me think about it for a moment :)
yanagi