Phil
How to say 'i have been given' How would you say 'I have been given' as in 'I have been given your number by...' in French? I came up with Je m'a donné but that to me would look like i was giving it to myself. Help! Thanks
3
0
On m'a donné... In this structure, "on" means "someone": "someone gave me". Or simply "Quelqu'un m'a donné..." If you want to add who gave the number, you must use a different verb. "J'ai eu ton numéro de quelqu'un..." (Verbe avoir au passé composé).
I have been given your number by X : X m'a donné ton numéro (works also with X = someone -> quelqu'un). I have been given your number : on m'a donné ton numéro Note also the expression : - Il m'a été donné (l'occasion) de + V-infinitif It is sometimes used to translate I have been given the opportunity to ... instead of just saying J'ai eu l'occasion de V-infinitif. Even when the word occasion is omited it is implied.
I have been given your phone number = on m'a donné ton numéro de téléphone If you want to say you give something to yourself you should say "Je me suis donné" par exemple "je me suis donné deux ans pour parler français couramment" .
Phil
English, Swedish
Swedish