Mark
Will vs Would Dear teachers Could you please analyse the contexts below: Your headache would not go away for just sleeping days and nights. Please see a doctor and get some medicine and you would be surprised! VS Your headache will not go away for just sleeping days and nights. Please see a doctor and get some medicine and you will be surprised! My understanding is that they are both correct but have different meanings. If the person has been sleeping days and nights and you know about that then you will use "will", but if the person suggests sleeping day and night as a cure for headache than you would use "would". I side question: In my sentence above should it be will or would: as in....... If the person has been sleeping days and nights and you know about that then you WILL/WOULD use "will", but if the person suggests sleeping day and night as a cure for headache than you WILL/WOULD use "would".
2016年10月25日 19:21
4
0
In the two examples you have presented, "will" would be the correct word. Will is used to indicate the future, for example 'I will call you' or 'I will go to work tomorrow'. 'Would' however is really the past tense of 'will', for example 'everyday he would go to school at 8.30', but it can also be used to denote the future but in a different form (usually hypothetical or when there is a condition attached to it, or when speaking of the 'future' in hindsight)... for example: 'I would help you if I could' 'Nobody knew that Shakespeare would go on to influence literature many centuries after his death' It's very difficult to explain (yet so simple a concept!) but you'll get it. I hope that helps.
2016年10月25日
In my view, "will not" is correct and "would not" is not. When I say the sentences to myself, "won't" is the only option which feels right. The headache is real and you are talking about a realistic option for dealing with it (even if the option is unlikely to succeed). So you are speculating much like in a first conditional. In fact, the meaning of your example is the same as this: "Even if all you do is sleep, your headache will still not go away."
2016年10月25日
Mark
English, Urdu